Monday, March 15, 2010

Schadenfreud

"Schadenfreud" - I think that was my favorite song!

Wasn't planning to write anything but realized that, when it comes to Manila theater, I tend to want to write more about the shows I wasn't completely happy with. I try to find nice things to say even if I really wasn't very happy and after I click "Publish" I always wish I had just written everything I really felt.

SO. Wanted to quickly write about Avenue Q because I thought it was awesome. Like seriously, flawless and awesome! (By the way the other show I recently saw and really enjoyed but didn't get to write about was Rep's Sweeney Todd.)

This also makes me wonder if I enjoy the shows I have no prior exposure to more than those that I already love, because the expectations are naturally greater for the latter?

But everything was awesome. All of the actors were awesome - and their voices were amazing. I guess that should be sort of standard in musical theater but that sadly has not been the case in 2 of the last 4 plays I've seen - I'm talking about YOU, Wendla and Mimi!

I had no favorites because everyone was amazing. Ok just kidding, extra props to the Felix Rivera and Rachel Alejandro because they performed two major roles each. And extra extra props to Calvin Millado just because he was also Roger.  No seriously, great great stuff.

I guess that this cast is also benefiting from the experience of three runs. But the play runs like a well-oiled ship. If I were Chari Arespacochaga I would be very happy to have a success on my hands after the last disaster she directed.

Haha ok it must be pretty obvious now that I have some hatred for Atlantis because of the mockery that was Spring Awakening Manila. Even if I enjoyed one out of three times I saw the show, really, they as theater professionals, lovers, veterans, should have had enough respect for the material and the art not to put on such a terrible show.

I had sort of sworn off Atlantis - what a joke given that there are only like two or three companies in Manila! - as a result of Spring, combined with the terrible Hairspray reviews. But I guess they have made me think twice with Avenue Q.



If you haven't seen this show it is an absolute and total MUST SEE:

No comments:

Post a Comment