Monday, March 01, 2010

welcome to the life cafe

I saw Rent five times when it first opened in Manila in 1999. I have always loved musicals but this was the first contemporary one that I fell in love with.

Rent made waves in my high school - there factions who were on Team Carlo (Ledesma, the squeegee guy) or Team JM (Rodriguez, now gay?). There was even someone on Team Andrew (Vergara, the Stage Manager). Yes, we were fans. We used to sing our favorite songs in the Student Council Office at lunch, channeling our inner Maureen or Mimi.

I don't think that, at 16, I understood the depth of social commentary that was Rent. But this didn't stop the tears from streaming down my cheeks as Roger and Mark fought (they were also crying) during "Goodbye Love" during the last Atlantis performance. "Will I" has always been my favorite song and I fell in love a little when a boy at my church told me he would sing Roger's part to my Mimi in "Light My Candle". A kabarakada recently left to study in New York and on the night of her despedida my Facebook status message read "Let's go ouwooooot tonight!", of course tagging the other girls in our group.

I love Rent and know almost every word in the OBC recording. This musical was the soundtrack to some very memorable years of my life.

Which is why I was hesitant to watch 9 Works Theatrical's re-staging. (Should also mention that I have recently been burned by the painfully sub-par Manila staging of another musical I love.) I didn't want to risk being disappointed.

Heard some good reviews though. A Facebook message from an officemate last week saying that I had to see it finally pushed me to get tickets. So today, after a minor scuffle with front of house regarding a mix-up with our ticket reservagion, my brother, sister and I sat down to Alphabet City.

I'm glad I didn't miss it.


It was a good show overall with one big snag that I will get out of the way! The only real shortcoming that this staging had was Mimi (Cara Barredo). Worst Mimi ever. Her acting was terrible, so one-dimensionally skanky. I couldn't take her in "Light My Candle" and especially not in "Out Tonight", where she couldn't even hit the high notes! Felt so bad for Roger having to pretend that he was in love with her. She couldn't dance and she didn't draw me in to any of her songs and especially not as she is deteriorating in Act II. Did not like her "Without You" and didn't feel anything when she died (except for Mark who burst into tears at that point... maybe because he knew the moment had been wasted). Saw a friend at intermission who told me that the other Mimi is supposedly better. Too bad I didn't know so I could have made sure to see a show with the "good" Mimi... Don't understand though why they cast a second Mimi at all if she can't really act or sing the part.

BUT this staging had a lot of great moments. Here were a few of my favorites:
  • "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" > Insane. INSANE. The most powerful moment of the play. I wanted to hold my breath for the whole song. Collins (OJ Mariano) was perfect. Perfect casting, perfect performance. Smooth, R&B, perfectly gay without being effeminate in the least. Also great ensemble support.
  • "Over The Moon" > I didn't quite understand this song until I saw Idina perform it in the movie. I imagined how difficult it must be to psych yourself up to perform this because it is such an odd metaphor! But Carla Guevarra conquered it and got me to Moo! She owned Maureen and I think she was my favorite performer in this set. She pulled the everyone's performance level up every time she got on stage. She even made me cry when she talked about Angel after "Contact".
  • Mark! > I think they cast a great Mark (Fredison Lo). He is so awkward and geeky, it always surprises that he breaks out and lets loose in La Vie Boheme. He did pretty well portraying the solo observer.
  • Roger > I knew that Giancarlo has a beautiful voice but I didn't know it could go Rent! Awesome job. I think he was a better singer than actor but good overall.
  • "What You Own" > I think Mark and Roger nailed this. Perfect vocals that properly illuminated the moment that they realize that they've had a community all along, that will unlock their artistic blocks.
  • Ensemble pieces "Christmas Bells" and "La Vie Boheme" > Right delivery and energy especially from the supporting cast. Liked the falling snow and the happy chairs at the Life Cafe after Maureen's show!
  • Voice Mails from Parents
  • "Finale", specifically the "Santa Fe" Reprise by Collins, Roger and Mark :)
I thought Joanne was pretty good but thought that she shouted more than sang in "Take Me Or Leave Me". I was disappointed in that song because she lacked the vocal power to rival Maureen's. The vocals are supposed to reflect how strong these two women, how awesome and yet both forces to be reckoned with. But if one actor isn't quite there then the song doesn't have as much impact. Which is why she is not on my favorites list.


I also liked Angel (Job Bautista)! How can you not love her? Performance was awesome (kudos to the costume team too, especially for the glowstick coat!) even if vocals weren't quite up to Angel-level.


Overall I think this was a great opener for 9 Works Theatrical. Great staging, a lot of heart. Congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment