Friday, September 04, 2009

Jett Pangan plays a loving and supportive father


"Jett Pangan plays a loving and supportive father in Atlantis Productions’ Spring Awakening."

Don't worry, the article was complete in saying that he also plays an abusive father. It was just funny to see this quote because his son eventually, well, you know. No spoliers ☺ (I wouldn't want this to be like the time I saw Titanic - and saw a friend in line to enter the theater as I was leaving. She asked how it was and I replied sarcastically that well, the ship sinks! And the random girl behind her interjected angrily that I had spoiled the ending for her. Right.)

An interesting thing about the Spring production from Duncan Shiek and Michael Sater is that it has only one actor play all of the adult male roles and one actress play all of the adult female roles. This kind of confused me at first because I thought that Wendla's mother was also their school teacher... but also a very inappropriate piano teacher!

I thought that this was sort of brilliant in the semiotics of it - instead of having a cast made of several adult actors and several child (teen) actors, the ratio is now 2 adults : 10 kids. And that really tells you where the spotlight is.

So, Jett Pangan has several large (pairs of) shoes to fill in Spring. But he sounds like he is up to it; again from Philppine Star: Having heard about Spring from director Chari Arespacochaga, he recalls “Chari asked me to name possible young leads for the show. I volunteered as a young lead, which disturbed her a little bit,” he smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment